How to poach the perfect egg.
I am constantly being asked via my instagram feed how I get my poached eggs so perfect. I decided to add a quick little guide. Please comment below if you find this handy and I will post a few more ‘how to’ guides.
- Make sure the egg is at room temperature and break it into a small bowl
- Fill a small saucepan with water deep enough to shape your egg
- Add 2-3 tab vinegar
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and swirl into a whirlpool
- Drop the egg into the center. The spinning water will cause it to bind together (coagulate)
- Simmer for 2 minutes if you like it runny or 4 minutes if you like it hard.
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Let it drain then serve it.
If you’re making them for a big group have a pan of cold water ready and drop your eggs into there as they’re ready. This will stop the cooking process. Dip them into a pot of boiling water afterwards to re-heat.
Voila – perfect poached eggs.
As you get used to the water temperatures/spinning technique, you won’t need vinegar (I didn’t use it today). But it definitely helps at the start!
Serve with sourdough, smoked salmon, fresh herbs, smashed avocado, hollandaise sauce etc.